The color RED is passion, confidence, strength, stimulation, excitement, power. Red is glamorous, sexy, feminine, classic, timeless, chic. Anyone will tell you, red lips are the equivalent to the little black dress. It takes a confidant woman to rock a fierce red lipstick, however, it must be done right!
I have so many girlfriends and clients who shy away from red lipstick and you have no idea how excited I get when one agrees to let me try one on them! Every time I have, they love the way they look! A good red lip just does something to a woman's mood. Below I am sharing with you the "How To's" for rockin a red lip as well as a few of my favorites. I have also linked them for you so you can shop after you read :)
- First you must figure out whether you have cool toned skin or warm. To quickly and easily find this out look at the inside of your wrist. If your veins are more blue you likely have cool undertones. If your veins are more green, you likely have warm undertones. If your veins are a mix of blue and green, then you are a mix of both and can truly get away with wearing any shades of lipstick!
- If you have blue undertones, find red lipsticks with blue or purple shaded undertones. If you are warm, reds with brown or orange shaded undertones.
- If you are new to red lipstick and are a little scared of taking the jump, take baby steps! Take your favorite nude or soft pink lipstick and add just a touch of the red lipstick, adding a little more each time you wear it until you feel comfortable rocking a true red hue.
- Keep your lips exfoliated, flake free, and hydrated. Wearing a bold color draws attention to your mouth immediately and there is nothing less sexy than dry, cracked, chapped lips. Keeping your pout hydrated throughout the day will also make your color last longer!
- Look appropriate! If you are going to be outdoors during the day, pick a softer more sheer shade. If you will be indoors or it is an evening event, go for the BOLD!
- Choose your outfit accordingly. Red lipstick pairs the best with all black and can be worn with a dressy outfit or even jeans, a white T, and a (faux) leather jacket. Your outfit can be totally casual and a pop of red on your lips takes it to a whole new level. Reds also pair nicely with reds ( see my photo ) or even with animal print. Be careful with the animal print though, if not done correctly you can look cray real quick. DON'T ever....wear pink and red together. You'll look like a walking advertisement for Valentine's Day and it's just an all around NO in my book.
- Maintain your dental hygiene. This should go without saying for your entire life lol, but just FYI, red lipstick does not pair well with yellow stained teeth. There is nothing more eye catching than a beautiful bright smile :) BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!
- Before applying lipstick, line the entire lip to help the color last longer. Lip liner also helps if you have fine or deep lines around the mouth. It prevents your lipstick from feathering.
- To keep your lips looking clean and defined, I clean around my lips with a concealer brush and a tiny bit of concealer. This will help if you accidentally draw outside of your lip lines. If you know you don't have a steady hand, purchase a lip brush and apply your lipstick with that instead of straight from the tube.
- If it is possible you will be having a makeout sesh at some point in your night, opt for a a lip stain. Men prefer the lipstick on you, not on them, most likely ;)
- Now, let's discuss the rest of your face when rockin a red lip.
- If you are more of a natural makeup type of gal, it is very important to keep your eyes super neutral. A little mascara and a soft beige or brown eyeshadow will go perfectly. If you do too much you will shock yourself!
- Don't wear a rosy red blush, opt for something very soft, or nothing at all.
- If you are going for a very dewy, luminous, highlighted look on your skin, opt for a matte lipstick for balance. You don't want your entire face to be overly shiny!
- If you want a classic, Marilyn Monroe look, pair a bright red lipstick with a clean black winged liner on the top lid. No bottom liner, some mascara, and skip the blush.
- If you like your makeup bold, go ahead and pair your red lip with a smoky eye. Keep the rest of your face as neutral as possible and opt for bronze colors, deep golds and browns for the eye. I wouldn't recommend creating a smoky eye with blacks, purples, greys...etc. Subtle smoky eyes pair best with deep shades of red. I would also recommend a matte lipstick for this look.
On to my favorites :)
- Mattes: Charlotte Tilbury in Red Carpet Red , Kylie Cosmetics Mary JO K Lip Kit , Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in A-GO-GO
- Creamy Reds: DOSE of Colors in Heartbeat , Marc Jacobs Le Marc Creme in Amazing 204 , Tarte Color Splash Hydrating Lipstick in Miami Vice
- Glossy: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Lustre in Red Vixen , Urban Decay Revolution High Color Lipgloss in 69 , NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Apple Crisp
- Lip Stains: NYX Epic Ink Lip Dye in Revolt , Stila Pomegranate Crush Lip & Cheek Stain , E.L.F Aqua Beauty Radiant Gel Lip Stain in Rouge Radiance
I hope you all enjoyed this read and are ready to rock your red pout. The best thing about makeup is being able to change your look to suit your mood or to even uplift your mood. Red is the perfect color to make a statement and make you feel beautiful and sexy! As always, no matter what color you choose to wear, wear it with confidence and have fun doing it! Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you never miss a post! Have a great weekend everyone! xoxo
P.S. As always, all of the recommendations I make are not tested on animals and are certified cruelty free. It is very possible to look beautiful and buy inexpensive makeup as well as luxury makeup without harming beautiful animals. Do your research or if all else fails...ASK ME :)